Inspirational Quote

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

Monday, March 14, 2011

Change = Weight Loss

"When one approach is not working to reach the desired goal, that's not a reason to abandon the goal. Instead, it is time to devise another approach." - Ralph Marston

 I'm not typically a women who complains much about the scale or obsesses about their clothing size.  I suppose I log  more "gym" hours than most adults but consume more than enough calories in a day to balance. Often times during training as weekly mileage increases and intensifies the scale can start to creep up as well, 10 a.m. comes ding donging around and I find myself sending or receiving a message from a training partner about an uncontrollable urge to eat lunch. A few neighborhood runners and I joke frequently that we love to run because we love to eat!
 I made a few modifications to my most recent training schedule. (1) altered Cross Training and (2) speedier speed workouts. Diversifying my classic training calender without changing my diet has brought about a weight loss. My attendance at class on cross training days is not real consistent ...life gets in the way. I attempt approximately 2 TurboKick classes a week (high energy, 60 minute cardio session). Typically, I complete 1 speed interval run each week but have pushed myself to run faster and rest less between intervals. My tempo and long runs have remained the same.
 Previously, my body was not being challenged to progress, changing even a small part of my routine every 4-6 weeks can make the difference. My body adapted to my workouts, became more efficient, therefor not expanding as many calories per workout session. Weight loss isn't a goal of mine during training but I'm not complaining about the numbers either. If you are wanting to break a plateau, change the type of cardio or intensity of your workout. Don't let your body get use to the exercise, make a dramatic change in your training schedule or try something new.