Inspirational Quote

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

Friday, April 8, 2011

Celebrate

"Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings." - Samuel Johnson

 Of course I celebrate after a race! ...but how many runners celebrate after achievement of a training program? I'm not talking about the silly runs the week prior to a race assuming we can relieve our anxiety. In all actuality, these runs donate criticism towards preparation and second guesses concerning a high minded time of completion. My definition of achieving a training program is accomplishing in its entirety the crowning 'LONG' run ...the final hydration stop, the last energy bean or GU shot, the ultimate mile, the closing song on your ipod, the stumble to the nearest resting place, feeling your heart rate and labored breathing return to normal, a massive smile expanding on your face, turning to your running partner and laughing.
 I know the race has yet to be run, but take time to celebrate the miles you have knocked off. Applaud the early morning rises, the late night workouts and turning the lights out early when the clique begs you to stay for, "just one more". You've endured physical pain and mental exhaustion, never quitting through black toenails, blisters, side stitches, chaffing, dehydration, shin splints, pulled EVERYTHING, and suffered from hallucinations and near delirium.
 I'm not suggesting you hire a band, throw up a tent and light some torches, yet! I have, however, enjoyed the best pancakes covered with syrup and smothered in peanut butter ( I LOVE peanut butter), shared a box of Nerds candy and several pots of coffee, consumed biggish quantities of chocolate chip cookies while stretched on the lawn, all while talking over "the program" with some of the greatest runners I know.

MyPod:
Edge of a Broken Heart - Vixen
Burning Heart - Survivor
Perfect - PINK