Inspirational Quote

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

Friday, April 1, 2011

Running With A Cold

"There is an itch in runners." - Arnold Hano

 Until last week I was able to boast and talk big about not getting sick during this king size arctic winter. The end of my first training program is quickly approaching and my first race of the term only a  few short weeks away. The next time I glorify my health politely remind me, the race has yet to be run. However, with sniffles, achy body and engaging weekend of young nipper animation I laced up, increased my displeasure medication and obeyed the program. I contemplated a bail out of my long run, it was frizzling and gusty in the exterior and I felt miserable. In the back of my mind I knew I could possibly regret this judgement later.
 Should I run with a cold? The general rule for runners as far as colds are concerned is that if the cold is above your throat and don't feel you have a fever, then a GENTLE jog should be ok. If the cold is in your throat or chest, then skip the run. Take off the next few days until you are feeling better. For a runner preparing for an endurance race and spending numerous hours training the immune system is compromised by the rise of catecholamines and glucocorticoids. When these levels rise the body is vulnerable to infection, leaving a runner vulnerable to illness and the reason why many marathon runners are cursed with colds.
 Long run accomplished. I marched directly upstairs and halted in a steamy high temperature shower ...no ice bath for this trackwomen. I wriggled into my favorite sweats, crawled into bed and nursed a cold for the next 2 weeks. Even if I had taken a week off from training, it would not have taken long at all to be back at my desired level of fitness. I'm back at my training program full strength but mourning the loss of scheduled runs and suffering anxiety for preparation of upcoming race.