Inspirational Quote

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

Monday, January 17, 2011

Runner's and Reading

 I'm practically skipping up the sidewalk on a very cold January night, I don't bother knocking as no one would come to the door ..except Wrigley, and he's just an overweight black lab that loves barking up the entry way. Ryan is standing at the top of the steps and already shouting down the hallway, "Noelle, your lover is here and she brought her bible!" Noelle and I refer to Runner's World as the bible, we start giggling like high school girls reading a Seventeen magazine in the library during study hall. We compass the table with the most recent copies of Women's Health, SELF and of course, Runner's World. Noelle and I pour over the articles, offer judgement and announce our opinion on every female photo (women ARE harsh critics!) ...
 Many runner's read extensively about their sport. Books and magazines can provide the latest running news and information, advise on running equipment, offer reviews of the latest gadgets, suggest training schedules and techniques, and list upcoming races. Whether currently a runner or thinking about becoming one you need inspiration to get you into your running shoes and out the door. Find some form of literature that fits into your library.
 ... Wrigley is back to the entry and alerting us to yet another race contender. Noelle and I immediately hassle Rob about being late and suggest a consequence, aka beer! After exchanging a few one-liners and some witticism we are dressed and heading out the door. As a group, we don't generally listen to music, I'll sing (mostly out of tune), Noelle will keep time with her "GAS" and Rob will entertain us with judicial review ...but we mostly discuss running!
 Honestly, I don't have a multitude of time to donate to reading. I might grab a magazine for the car ride to a hockey game or wrestling tournament. Possibly turn a few pages before grabbing some shut eye ( ...and it better be funny or enlightening or I'm in a state of dormancy.) The following is a few short written words (books) that I enjoyed and possibly received some comic mirth that describes a runner's insanity.

The Runner's Guide To The Meaning Of Life - Amby Burfoot
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - Haruki Murakami
I Run, ThereFore I Am--NUTS! - Bob Schwartz