Inspirational Quote

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

Monday, February 28, 2011

Creature of Habit

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

I am one who is extremely use to my own habits and I do not function (run) well with out performing them. Creature of Habit ...at least when it comes to my long run, it's my most important component when training for a marathon.
 Hydration - I know I should. I struggle more in the morning, coffee cup in one hand and a diet coke in the other. 24 hours prior I fast pitch the caffeine and throw back a tasteless liquid.
 Carbohydrates - Increasing gradually during training, about 60% of my diet is carbs. Most runner's will notice their "Appetite for Destruction" as weekly mileage rises. When Friday evening comes to town, my family is typically dining on spaghetti.
 Rest Day - Just from isometrics, not from mom responsibilities. The day before my long run is characteristically one without workout activity.
 Sleep - YES, PLEASE! I know 8 hours is recommended but consecutively? I aim for this goal the evening prior to racing the distance.

 A morning run works best in my schedule. Most races are ran in the first part of the day and like many we are buzzing around to various activities throughout the weekend. After rising and before I dress, I'm careful to apply all areas predispositioned to chaffing with body glide. While sucking down my second cup of coffee, I prepare breakfast ....1000 mg of ibuprofen and a side of toast (2 slices w/ peanut butter). I carefully stock my pockets with GU and Beans and secure my ipod.