Inspirational Quote

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

Monday, February 7, 2011

Training Programs

"Be clear about your goal but be flexible about the process of achieving it." - Brian Tracy

 After my first "official" week of training, I think I am officially exhausted. I wish I could pat my back and proclaim that it was from a great number of miles, multiplicity of cross training, flexibility workouts, and intense bodybuilding. However, many of you are of acquaintance and I won't make a liar out of myself.
 I was prepared for a big inception on Sunday morning (insert drum roll) .... a printed training program on the refrigerator AND tacked to my bulletin board at work. Honestly, I've had my program selected for many weeks, I often contemplate it and anticipate the weeks ahead. After electing a few races for the forthcoming spring I was ready to lace up. So, when my life becomes predictable, monotonous or routine I will be following Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Training Program: Intermediate for St.Cloud's Earth Day Run in April and Scheel's Fargo Marathon in May. However, this week's series of events forced a modification to the great running curriculum and it went something like this:

Sunday - Run 7 miles - Penciled in TurboKick, erased after aquatics with my little fish for roughly 2 hours and a behemothic appetite for pizza.
Monday - Cross Training/TurboKick - http://www.facebook.com/Turbo.Kick.Kim
Tuesday - Penciled in Easy 4 mile a.m. Run. Erased, Youngling had optics of the dark side at the time of 2 a.m. Press snooze. Reconfigure ..... (p.m.) Cross Training/TurboKick.
Wednesday - Penciled in Weight Training and Speed Intervals - Erased, Bantling below par and roused for most of the evening = mommy no slumber. NO RECONFIGURATION
Thursday - Penciled in Easy 4 mile a.m. Run. Erased, night dos with no sleepy. Littlest child still out of sorts. Reconfigure .....(p.m.) Weight Training and Speed Intervals.
Friday - REST
Saturday - Early a.m. 5 mile Run/Core - ACHIEVED

 Select your race/distance, find a training program, commit to the training, and complete your goal. Be sensible but not underachieving. Training programs keep us motivated and on track. Everyone needs a framework to follow in the form of a training program, I need a program that allows me the flexibility to train around the rest of my life and my personal commitments. I habitually train a few weeks ahead of program, that way I can adjust my running around my life.