Inspirational Quote

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

Friday, February 18, 2011

Obstacle Course or Outdoor Run

"It felt like spring time on this February morning ..."


Obstacle course or outdoor run? Tip toe, tip toe ... and one large leap over the Red River on 3rd and 3rd, a zig past a pot hole, a zag through a slush filled tire track, a splat through a muddle, and after many blocks of bobbing and weaving I found solid pavement under my feet. I contemplated a circle back to slip zip-locks over my favorite running shoes, I was finally able to convince myself that brown mud stains add to the exquisiteness of my recently purchased hot pink treads. Like many runners I was feeling the necessity for sunshine on my exposed features, fresh air accelerating through my lungs and the sound of lower extremities vibrating on the street.
 When you run outdoors, you are moving over ever-changing terrain. The incline and slant of the ground is always changing. The running surface itself could change frequently. You might notice you are moving from gravel, to concrete, to asphalt ...and sometimes in February, sliding in the mud and swimming through an intersection.
  Preparation ... snow and ice keep many of us locked on the treadmill, and the treadmill allows us to ignore our crazy weather. However, since you are running on the same terrain and in the same condition every time your body is not being forced to work harder or use different muscles. Ah, North Dakota weather ...what I know for sure is that the climate will not be controlled on race day. If your goal is an outdoor race the treadmill is not where you want to do the majority of your running. Outdoor runs will force your body to work different leg muscles and the weather will provide resistance training helping to improve stamina and endurance. The treadmill CAN provide a great advantage when completing speed work, as it will help maintain your pace and stride. Time possible and weather permitting I aim to complete my weekly long runs outdoors and tempo and speed workouts concluded on the treadmill.
 One guarantee ...If I select shorts attire on race day, it WILL snow. Looking back, I don't know that I have ever thought, "WOW, optimal weather conditions on race day!". I hope many of you were able to enjoy an outdoor run during a most unfavorable winter for marathon training.

"The will to win is worthless if you don't have the will to prepare." - Thane Yost