Inspirational Quote

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

Monday, December 20, 2010

Endearing or Annoying

Bad habits, we've all got'em! Runner's most definitely have a few quirks and oddities, often most noticeable by those that love us. We know we're not normal, we have certain habits that just drive others crazy. I must admit that I am guilty of many of the following crimes ...ok, ALL of them, I cross referenced my list which was met with hysterical laughter and additional notation .....

- Ending a conversation to join a discussion on the opposite end of the room on the best flavor of GU. If the topic of running is being discussed within a 50 yard radius my 'Run-Dar' sense will detect it.
- I need a drop off 15 miles outside of town ...yes, I can wait until half time of the game, but I will be frantically pacing in the kitchen, biting my fingernails and sucking down my 5th cup of coffee.
- During training season don't ask me what's for dinner on Friday night. The answer is always the same, carb loaded spaghetti.
- The laundry room is a display of tech t-shirts, sports bras, running tights, and underarmour. DO NOT put them in the dryer!
- Ibuprofen bottles line my medicine cabinet and when I refilled my anti inflammatory I called Mr. McDreamy, the pharmacist by his first name. (oh right, we were friends before!)  ...and he asked me to start calling him that.
- On Saturday afternoon, once again, I'm driving the running route with my training partner to make sure it is EXACTLY the mileage on our training schedule. (It's ok to be over on mileage ...never, never under.)
- While planning a vacation I check the hotel for a fitness center or running path ... worse yet, a nearby race.
- Always shopping for new running shoes! Refusal to toss out old ones and naming each pair by the race(s) they have participated in. Oh sure, I will demote them from the porch to the garage ...but will only toss when I'm ready to let go!
- If I haven't hit the trail in the last 48 hours my body will launch into a full scale anxiety attack ...I will return to normal state after a 60 min running recourse.
- Bananas are a great recovery snack, but ...I just want a beer with a side of Sixlets and frosting!

Now, I will try my best and make attempts to change and I do apologize, but your badgering lectures will only distract me from focusing on my plans to gorge on potato chips and ice cream after a long run or bitter sweet race.


"Play not only keeps us young but also maintains our perspective about the relative seriousness of things. Running is play, for even if we try hard to do well at it, it is a relief from everyday cares." - Jim Fixx