Inspirational Quote

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

Monday, December 13, 2010

Journaling

 CONFESSION: I've never kept a Running Log/Journal, other than what's stored in my long-term memory, and it's very possible self-inflicted deterioration of some parts of the brain could be occurring. GOAL: qualify for the Boston Marathon ...yeah, it is a goal but for now I need to start a training journal.
 A training journal is kept for your benefit, and you can include any piece of information that YOU think is important. Detail your distance, time, thoughts (How did I feel?), weather, type of run, and maybe what shoes you wore. You ran the miles and ate the right food, write it down. A running journal is also a place where you can remember races and runs with your friends (coming soon to this blog  ... Auld Lang Syne/Tribute To My Training Partners .... pre emptive apologies to Heidi, Noelle, Rob, and Jamie).
  Oh sure, I've made pathetic attempts at keeping a log! I saunter past the family activity calender and scratch down some mileage. A few days go by without notation, I stroll past the calender post-run and on the way to a shower and again scribble another digit. I often try to convince myself I'm just a recreational runner, but if asked how many miles I ran last week could quickly configure some numerical data which consisted of actual miles, virtual mileage (dream interpretation) and quite possibly cross training miles (which COULD count as miles if I was actually running). Then, I take that number and add or subtract a few miles depending on whom I'm talking with. If I had been keeping a journal/log none of this mathematical circus would be causing information and system overload in my frontal lobe.
 Runner's of all types would benefit from keeping a journal. Detailed journal entries will remind us of important things from previous runs. Journaling will recall where we started, past mistakes, what I need to do to improve, and help prevent injuries.
 So, if anyone is looking for a last minute Christmas idea .... my activity calender is full!

Mypod - Hinder - Better Than Me