Inspirational Quote

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

Monday, December 27, 2010

Women and Running

 For races, there are still more men who race than women, but the gap is closing! Because women have more body fat to burn (you never hear a man arguing the opposite), we make good marathoners. Men tend to use their strength to push ahead in short races, but this can backfire in a marathon. Women seem perfectly content to find a comfort zone and stay there. This makes women ideally suited for the marathon, the ultimate stay cool and maintain your pace distance. So women, why not be adventurous and set your sights on a half-marathon or marathon!
 From 2008 to 2009 the number of female marathon finishers grew by nearly 10%. Following a trend from previous years, women continued to catch up with men and accounted for 40.4% of finishing times. The average age of the women marathoner in 2009, 36.5. The average finishing time of the female marathoner, 4:52:31. (MarathonGuide.com, 2009).
 You don't need to be a competitive runner to race. It's not important if you are not the best on the course. Race running can be fun, motivational and an excellent way to meet people/network. As a runner, I've learned to compete with myself, not against my fellow runners. My goal running my first marathon was to finish. Through running I've improved my mood and become out of concern with my weight. (I mean LESS concerned ...I am a women, what do you expect?!) Make running about you and accomplishing something in your life. Appreciate the mental and physical health benefits.

Quote: "I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise... it's a consistent reward for victory!" - Sasha Azevedo

MyPod - Lita Ford - Shot of Poison